Wednesday, August 1, 2007

2003 Chateau Ste Michelle Cold Creek Cabernet Sauvignon

Cheateau Ste Michelle is a staple of Washington restaurants and grocery stores. They're probably the first winery most people think of when they think of Washington State. Like most big wineries, they have a range of wines. Their cheapest wines are in the $10 range, and they're drinkable. But if you just take a step up to their Single Vineyard wines, such as the Cold Creek Cabernet, the quality jumps quite a bit.

Generally you can pick up the Cold Creek in grocery stores for about $22. I've always had a soft spot for this wine. I generally keep a few bottles from every vintage on hand. It's a great drinking wine, and I'd put it head-to-head with a lot of $30 and $40 California wines.

So the other night, on a whim, I opened the 2003 Chateau Ste Michelle Cold Creek Cabernet Sauvignon to see how it was doing. It's done. Drink it now. It's probably at its peak. It was smooth, a little velvety, a little earthy and a little oaky. Mellow tannins, nothing bad going on. Nothing spectacular, but eminently drinkable. All you readers out there spending less than $9 on cheap Australian Shiraz should give this a whirl. Go on... splurge.

2 comments:

Thad said...

Jeff,

I just discovered your site and am glad to know of a fellow Washington state resident blogging about wine. In fact, I recently posted on this topic on my blog, which I invite you to read:

http://beyondthebottle.com/blog/2007/10/where_are_the_washingtonbased.html

I am trying to raise more awareness around those who live in Washington state and blog about wine. It would be great if you would introduce yourself by commenting on the post.

Also, I will be happy to add you to my blogroll. I look forward to following your blog in the weeks ahead.

Thad
thad@beyondthebottle.com

Anonymous said...

I am drinking the 1997 cold creek cab tonite and it is fantastic - I can't believe the 2003 is done. Must be different winemaker or approach. Good stuff.